Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Gerald Ford 1913-2006

Former President Gerald Ford passed away on December 26, 2006. We would like to take the time to reflect on this man who had the monumental task of boosting America's morale during one of our lowest points in history.






KJW: In his August 8, 1974 resignation speech, President Richard Nixon, stated that "the first essential is to begin healing the wounds of this Nation, to put the bitterness and divisions of the recent past behind us, and to rediscover those shared ideals that lie at the heart of our strength and unity as a great and as a free people."

Gerald Ford was the person who first and foremost was charged with that responsibility. In his first and most historic step toward that end he pardoned President Nixon on September 8, 1974. In doing so he said in part:

"My conscience tells me clearly and certainly that I cannot prolong the bad dreams that continue to reopen a chapter that is closed. My conscience tells me that only I, as President, have the constitutional power to firmly shut and seal this book. My conscience tells me it is my duty, not merely to proclaim domestic tranquillity but to use every means that I have to insure it. I do believe that the buck stops here, that I cannot rely upon public opinion polls to tell me what is right. I do believe that right makes might and that if I am wrong, 10 angels swearing I was right would make no difference. I do believe, with all my heart and mind and spirit, that I, not as President but as a humble servant of God, will receive justice without mercy if I fail to show mercy. "

Gerald Ford was the right man at the right time for our country when we were literally being torn apart as a nation. He was truly a humble servant whose mercy helped us all to begin to heal.

EJS:

Gerald Ford was a steady leader during a time when this country desperately needed a moderating bipartisan voice. Although controversial at the time, his subsequent pardon of Richard Nixon was completely necessary, not only for the country's psyche, but also for his own. He had a job to do, and he didn't have the time or energy to dedicate to Nixon's problems. At that point, the US was in a recession, had a gasoline problem, and communism was spreading like wildfire. Gerald Ford led the country with great dignity during these difficult times, and lost one of the closest elections ever to Jimmy Carter in 1976. One advantage Ford possessed that I wish Carter had more of was respect. Ford had enough respect for the Presidency to keep his opinions to himself and support whomever was in power, regardless of party. I guess it is called class, and Gerald Ford was full of class. He was an Eagle Scout, combat veteran, congressman, vice-president, and President. He served the country faithfully and this country should thank Gerald Ford and his family for his amazing service to the American people.

1 comment:

Web Developers Delhi said...

I am extremely impressed along with your writing abilities, Thanks for this great share.